In the mid-1960s, with the proliferation of photographic equipment and advancements in films by Eastman Kodak, interest in photography was exploding. Enthusiasts wanted to know more about the medium from great photographers, amateur and professional.
It seemed natural to develop a television program to respond to all of the inquisitiveness. In 1974, Leigh Wiener created and produced the Emmy award-winning NBC-TV series “Talk About Pictures” which he co-hosted with George Fenneman. The series featured an eclectic cross-section of photographers, collectors and aficionados from Ansel Adams to Alfred Eisenstaedt to Graham Nash.
The two select clips below feature guests, Leigh Wiener himself and Graham Nash.
GUEST: LEIGH WIENER
“If You’re So Good, Let’s See Your Photographs”
Viewers had written in dozens of letters asking Leigh to discuss his own pictures. Joining George Fenneman in the cross-examination is photographic art maven David Fayhe. In this clip, Leigh elaborates on his photograph of Simone Signoret at the 1960 Academy Awards.
GUEST: GRAHAM NASH
“Musician, Photographer and Collector of Photographs”
Musician, writer and photographer Graham Nash has collected a remarkable group of photographs over the years. One of his favorites is a picture of Marilyn Monroe taken when she was 15 years old (photographer unknown). “The determining factor as to whether or not I collect the photograph is if I like it or not,” he says.
- Irwin Allen, Producer
- Ed Asner, Actor
- John Astin, Actor, director and photographer
- Roland Bell, Studio still photographer
- Mario Casilli, Playboy photographer
- David Cassidy, Actor and singer
- Richard Chamberlain, Actor
- Lucien Clergue, French photographer
- Norman Cousins, Editor, publisher, author, lecturer and photographer
- Bob Crane, Actor and photographer
- Henry Diltz, Rock album cover photographer
- Alfred Eisenstaedt, News photographer
- Sam Engel, Producer of westerns
- Milton Greene, Fashion photographer, including Marilyn Monroe
- Tippi Hedren, Actress
- Hal Jensen, Sports photographer
- Dr Gerald Maisel, Anesthesiologist and animal photographer
- Roddy McDowall, Actor, author and photographer
- Lamont McLemore, Member of the Fifth Dimension and fashion photographer
- Graham Nash, Musician, photographer and collector
- Sam Peckinpah, Director and photographer
- Joe Rosenthal, Photographer
- Ernie Schworck, UPI and sports photographer
- Norman Seeff, Physician, psychologist, photographer
- Robert Stack, Actor and amateur photographer
- Edmond Teske, Artist
- Herman Wall, War photographer
- Betty White, Actress and animal activist
- Linda Wolf, Photographer